Jan 30, 2011

Sumatra confusion

A blog can only convey so much of 'reality'.
Reality on this trip being something completely different than reality back home, and the blog posts few, written fast, censored and only our perception of things, this travel blog conveys very, very little 'reality'. When you add to that the fact that you, as a reader, than interpret this bad depiction of reality that we try to convey, I think it's pretty clear for everyone that there will be misunderstandings.
The point of this blog has been to keep our folks at home updated on where in Asia we are, and maybe even give them a little insight in what it's like (that's where the bad conveying of reality steps in) as wells as being a great way for us to remember some of the things we've seen and done on this trip.
However, because of bad writing, limited time and space, unclear blog posts and the likes, but most of all because of the simple fact that we've just failed to give you the real picture of how things are, these misunderstandings have led to this blog being more of source of worry for the people back home, than fulfilling its actual purpose: keeping them calm.

So what can I write without making anyone worry?
That Sumatra and Malaysia are filled with some of the kindest people I've ever met? That I trust everyone I meet naively to one hundred percent and trust them with all my belongings? That I say yes to free moto rides and to visiting people's homes, even though we don't understand a word the other says? That I've had interesting conversations with the locals 4 in the morning as the only westerner arriving in a new city?

Or should I write about how I've spent the last days doing nothing but laying in the cabana and watching the rain pour down, thus not giving you anything to worry about?
Or how the minarets call to prayer at the weirdest times and  the high palm trees combined with the dark clouds never look as intense on the pictures I take as they do in reality?
Or how I finally did something on this rainy paradise island (that can't compete with Tioman in Malaysia) and swam to another island, snorkeled, and watched a bunch of Clown fish for a long time while my goggles slowly filled with salt water?
Or how wonderful it is when it for once isn't raining and you can lay on the dock at night, listen to the waves, watch the stars and see the whole world(which for the past days have consisted of the cabana, Pulau Weh, and the island infront of Pulau Weh) being lit up by lightning while everything else goes dark because there is yet another black out?
Or how Banda Aceh is the most muslim city in Indonesia, and was totally devastated by the Boxing day Tsunami... proof of this being the huge boat stranded high up on land?
Or how weird and fun it is to have met up with the American we met way back in Yangshuo?
Or how much I miss Ruut and Sophia?

I'm sorry for all the 'or's. And I'm not telling you that you don't have the right to worry. You do. But just not because of misunderstandings, not for things there is no reason to get upset or worried about. Can I blog without you misunderstanding at least some of it? No. Can I depict reality through my blogposts? Doubtful. There is too much, always way too much.
Therefor I've come to the conclusion, that perhaps this blog should have ended when Ruut flew home, 'our' journey was inevitably over by then, and she wrote such a good summary of the way we felt those last days, a blog post that should have been the last.

However, it wasn't the last. And this post is not 'last blogpost' -material. So I might let you know where I am and what's up in the vast island of Sumatra (or who knows where we'll go?) every know and then, but don't expect it to be often, don't expect it to be detailed and please don't expect it to be 'reality'.
Terima Kasih, Selamat Tinggal.

No comments: