Oct 18, 2010

Being in Beijing - Day 13

Sophia and I followed Ruut's tip, and walked a couple Hutongs away, knocked on a window to a hairsalon, and asked (using some sort of sign language, as usual) the two ladies inside watching TV, if they could give us a massage, even though that wasn't actually their profession.
But boy, could they.
For 1 euro each (10 yuang) Sophia and I got the best massages we ever have, and I am adding this hairsalon to one of the must-go places on my Beijing list, just after Jinshan park and the Vegetarian Restaurant.

After this, we walked along a larger road for a while, and actually found a larger store (a mini market in Finland, and here, I suppose, but compared the ones we mostly see... this one was large) and, once again, we went crazy, buying everything from cucumber chips (you gotta try everything, right?) to a bag of something that might be candy... (they don't really seem to have any candy in China? Excpet American Skittles) ...and a lot of oreos. We basically live on oreos, since they are vegan, like a lot of things here apparently, due to the high percentage of lactos-intolerant Chinese. We learned this from Lien, and we are forever thankful. So now we're stacked with candy and chips!

My point with all of this was, that at the moment the three of us are pretty satisfied, we've got candy, we've had a massage, and we decided earlier today to dedicate this day to utter laziness. So while Sophia and Ruut read their books and all the staff gather to watch some soapy Chinese TV-program (as they have all day) while eating their soup, I really have nothing better to do than to blog. And after not being able to use a computer for a week on the train, I think I have a lot of computer-time to make up, until my inner nerd is satisfied.

So, I figured I'd list some things about China and Bejing that we've talked about or reacted on, and sort of compare the two capitals we've been to so far: Moscow and Beijing. Not having to pay for using the computer (haven't yet, at least) and knowing me... this might be long.
(Might?! If just the intro was this long...)
Prepair yourself.

No comments: